Re: [emacs-bidi] Column numbering in bidirectional display

From: Martin J. Dürst
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Column numbering in bidirectional display
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 13:30:33 +0900

Hello Eli,

On 2010/05/21 18:08, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

So on balance, I think we should keep the current semantics of the
line numbering, whereby columns are numbered in strict logical order.

If we decide to go that way, we will need to provide primitives or
subroutines to get to the visually first and last characters of a
visual line.  That's because some features need that; see the thread
Re: Hl-line and visual-line for one example.  beginning-of-visual-line
and end-of-visual-line sound like a good starting point.

Comments are welcome.

I agree that keeping column numbering as currently available in logical ordering. I think that at least in the long run, you will need more visual-related functions than just beginning-of-visual-line and end-of-visual-line.

Regards,   Martin.

#-# http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp   mailto:address@hidden