more on anything.el inclusion (was: No answer on bugs)

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: more on anything.el inclusion (was: No answer on bugs)
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 14:23:21 -0500

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 20:36:31 +0200 Thierry Volpiatto <address@hidden> wrote:

TV> We did lot of work on anything since this time, anyone can see, try
TV> and use anything on http://repo.or.cz/w/anything-config.git If you
TV> like it, then we could include in emacs.

Strangely, I can't check it out over HTTP:

% git clone http://repo.or.cz/w/anything-config.git
Initialized empty Git repository in /home/tzz/source/anything-config/.git/
warning: remote HEAD refers to nonexistent ref, unable to checkout.

(and nice warning, the checkout fails completely!)

but it works with the git://repo.or.cz/anything-config.git URL.

I think the revision history should be cut out of anything.el.

It's pretty hard for a novice to get started customizing the sources.
There is almost no Customize support AFAICT for anything-sources.  The
existing anything.el docs assume good knowledge of Emacs Lisp.  I don't
know if that is a problem, but a real manual would be very helpful for
beginners.

What sources should be on by default for Emacs users of anything.el?

I'm sure there are a lot of style and behavior issues I'm missing.  I'm
so used to anything.el that I'm probably not a good test case of how it
looks to an Emacs user.

Ted