Anything Use Case (was: more on anything.el inclusion)

From: Memnon Anon
Subject: Anything Use Case (was: more on anything.el inclusion)
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 17:20:41 +0200

Anything is just great!

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:

>>> And how do you use it?
>>
>> On the user side, if you use anything-config.el, there is already build
>> in sources ready for use, so you can use provided functions like any
>> other emacs one (e.g M-x anything-xfonts).
>
> This is still hard to grasp...
> Can you provide concrete examples of typical problems and how
> anything.el solves them?

One of my typical use cases:

- I need to use `grep', but I do not use it that often.
- F11 takes me to anything in my setup.
- "Pattern:" grep
- Anything shows me lots of startig points, e.g.:

,----
`----
,----
`----
,----
`----
,----
| Locate
| /bin/bzegrep
| /bin/bzfgrep
| /bin/bzgrep
`----

- I can use the primary action on each item pressing RET or
        get a list of actions apropriate for the specific item.

For Emacs Command `find-grep', I get:
,----
| Call interactively
| Describe command
| Add command to kill ring
| Go to command's definition
`----

The list of sources to integrate is vast!
Your bbdb database, kill ring, buffers, locate database, w3m bookmarks,
info and man, apt and much more, all from a single slick interface.

It might not be a solution to a single "problem", but it grows on you.
Now, I consider it a vital part of my emacs experience :).