Re: Composing Hebrew diacriticals

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Composing Hebrew diacriticals
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 16:51:18 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Yair F <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 8:52 AM, Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> wrote:
> > All those are glyph positioning problems and can be improved
> >by adding more code to hebrew-shape-gstring.

> What else problem do you expect?

Sorry, I just misread what you wrote "I would say that the
positioning is not sufficient" as "there should be more work
other than positioning".

> >I think it's a dirty &
> > ad-hoc hack.
> >
> > Theoretically, it is possible to do the same thing in the
> > function hebrew-shape-gstring.  But, is it really worth
> > doing that?  Isn't it enough to tell Hebrew users to use
> > properly desinged OpenType fonts?

> The sad answer on free systems is that there are nealy no such fonts.
> The common answer for "Why is Hebrew so ugly on Linux?" is "Install
> Culmus and msttcorefonts".
> I guess that is the reason for the twaks you mentioned.

Sign...

> An additional and possibly less ugly path is to use presentation forms
> when available.(UFB20) There are additional forms in the private use
> area.

Hmmm, that seems to be a practical approach provided that
the presentation forms covers most of frequently used
character combinations.  I'll try to implement it.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden