Re: Menu bar broken on MS-DOS

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Menu bar broken on MS-DOS
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 14:26:28 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Before that change, startup.el called `(menu-bar-mode 1)', but now it
> doesn't.  I cannot see where this call is made now.  Can you please
> describe how does this work on X?  I will then see how to make the DOS
> build work similarly to X and w32.

The variable menu-bar-mode defaults to t.  In x-create-frame, there are
the following lines:

  x_default_parameter (f, parms, Qmenu_bar_lines,
                       NILP (Vmenu_bar_mode)
                       ? make_number (0) : make_number (1),
                       NULL, NULL, RES_TYPE_NUMBER);

This says that if menu-bar-lines is not supplied as a parameter to
make-frame (or in default-frame-alist), the value of the menu-bar-lines
frame parameter defaults to 0 if menu-bar-mode is nil, and 1 otherwise.