Re: tool-bars - broken again

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: tool-bars - broken again
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 18:27:53 -0400

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

> I must say, and I am trying to be polite, that I am really getting
> tired of the fiddling with the tool bars that has been going on for
> years now.  I try to have code that works across versions.  You just
> won't leave it alone, it seems.

No, we can't maintain cruft indefinitely.  The complicated interaction
between default-frame-alist and tool/menu bar mode needed simplifying.

The default value of `default-frame-alist' is now nil, unless you
explicitly set the value to something else.  It is a properly-behaved
defcustom (and so is `initial-frame-alist'); Emacs does not muck with
the value when starting up, nor when you run the `*-bar-mode' commands.

Conceptually, adding any element to `default-frame-alist' is like
implicitly supplying an argument to `make-frame'.  (Any actual argument
you supply to `make-frame' takes precedence over `default-frame-alist'.)

If no `tool-bar-lines' or `menu-bar-lines' parameter is supplied in the
`make-frame' arguments or `default-frame-alist', Emacs sets the value
from the value of `menu-bar-mode' and `tool-bar-mode'.

> In my startup code, I set `default-frame-alist' and I also turn off
> `tool-bar-mode'.  Prior to the 6/28 build, the value of
> `tool-bar-lines' in `default-frame-alist' was correctly set to 0 when
> my code turned off `tool-bar-mode'; now it is not.

You are likely setting a non-zero `tool-bar-lines' in
`default-frame-alist'.  I don't know why you would want to do this, if
your intention is to disable the tool bar.  As far as I can see, there
is no bug here.