Re: more on anything.el inclusion

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: more on anything.el inclusion
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 00:02:59 +0200

> BTW, this might be obvious to you, but for people that have not used
> the package is not.  Adding a few lines of describing what it does and
> how to use it is very helpful.  [Please note that this has no relation
> to getting this package included in Emacs, this is just what a
> potential user would like].

Having gone through the same steps, plus some private discussion with
Thierry, here's my take on it:

   anything.el provides an alternate selection mechanism that differs
   from the usual minibuffer+completion mechanism in various ways,
   such as:
   - the *Completions* buffer is always displayed.
   - the *Completions* buffer is where the action takes place.
   - ...
   - the action to perform on the object(s) you selected is (or can be)
     chosen from the *Completions* buffer, i.e. after selecting the
     object rather than before.

   I.e. one difference is that the UI for selection is a bit different.
   And another is that the "paradigm" is changed from "choose action
   then choose on which object to apply it" to "choose object(s) and
   then choose action to apply to it/them".

I haven't delved far enough to give much further details.  I think it
would be good to try and decouple some of those aspects, especially
since I think that some of them could be included in
completion-list-mode (i.e. in the default UI).

        Stefan