Re: buildbot setup

From: joakim
Subject: Re: buildbot setup
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 00:56:51 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> We don't currently have any users with requirements like Alan
>> Mackenzie's, but if we did I'd simply keep track of potentially
>> destabilizing commits, and tag the last version before one of those.
>> That might not work so well with Emacs, though.  XEmacs has a very few
>> large committers whose stuff comes in batches, while others don't tend
>> to commit patches to areas that might break the build.  I gather Emacs
>> has several committers working in areas with some risk of breaking the
>> build, so it might not be so easy to choose an apparently stable
>> version.
>
> There's indeed some difficulty figuring out when a bootstrap is needed,
> as well as how to make sure "make bootstrap" works reliably.
>
> I think the need for bootstrap increases if you update less often
> (i.e. if you update everyday, you may never need to bootstrap, whereas
> if you update every month you may have to bootstrap every time).
>
> So maybe the buildbot could do a "checkout last bootstrap-tag",
> then update and try "make"; if that succeeds, move the tag; else try
> again with "make bootstrap" if that succeeds, then add some flag
> somewhere indicating that this revision needs a bootstrap and move both
> the tested-tag and the bootstrap-tag.
>
>> If you could automatically tag based on green buildbots, that might be
>> a worthwhile alternative, though.
>
> I don't know what are green buildbots.
>

>         Stefan

Just FYI I have been running a Hudson instance to build Emacs on a
Fedora 12 machine. It was very easy to setup because Hudson has a bzr
plugin. It polls the repos and decides if a rebuild is needed, and shows
diffs between builds and so on.

My interest is more in seeing if different branches build from a clean
checkout properly on different plattforms, not so much if a bootstrap is
needed.

Currently the setup is too insecure to let out on the internet, I need
to chroot the build environment at least.

--
Joakim Verona