Re: stop using P_, __P in header files

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: stop using P_, __P in header files
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 23:42:54 -0400

On Jul 4, 2010, at 23:05, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Ken Raeburn <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 17:24:49 -0400
>> Cc: Emacs Developers <address@hidden>
>>
>> We could also probably ditch the "register" declarations that date back to
>> pre-GCC days; do they do *any* good now?
>
> Emacs is compiled not only by GCC.

Of course not, although I suspect most UNIX installations use it.  By "pre-GCC"
I meant, what, late '80s or early '90s, before GCC came into widespread use?
When commonly used optimizer technology wasn't nearly as good as it is now.  Do
the non-GCC compilers (those that have halfway decent optimizers -- those that
don't should only be used for bootstrapping GCC or other modern compilers)
still need "register" these days to indicate what variables belong in
registers, or do the optimizers do a reasonable job of working it out for
themselves?

Ken