Re: stop using P_, __P in header files

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: stop using P_, __P in header files
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 01:48:15 +0200

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 19:31, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> FWIW, the ones I put in some code I wrote long ago were not naive at
> all.  And I don't think those we have in Emacs are naive, either.

No offense intended, so please excuse my choice of words.

My point was that, when the code was written, the register
declarations perhaps helped the optimizer (depending of compiler,
processor architecture, number of available registers, etc.). Today,
it's quite likely they don't. ISTR reading about programs that got a
noticeable speedup when "register" was removed altogether from the
code... Of course I don't think that'll be the case with Emacs, but
I'd bet all of a full euro that there won't be any noticeable
slowdown, either.

    Juanma