Re: Emacs making questions while starting in daemon mode

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: Emacs making questions while starting in daemon mode
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 22:39:01 -0400

Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:

> I've just detected the second instance of a problem that consists on
> asking questions to the user while emacs is starting in daemon mode (see
> bug#6567) Unless the user is starting emacs from a console, he can't

You can avoid that one by customizing `vc-follow-symlinks'.
Maybe you can make an argument in that bug report for changing the
default for the above variable...

> notice the question and emacs sits there forever waiting for an
> answer. From the POV of the user, the emacs daemon hangs.

If "emacs --daemon" asks a question when starting, one should be able
to answer it from the terminal, the same way it is done when emacs is
started in batch mode.
In general such a question is due to what the user has in .emacs, we
can't really prevent the user from shooting himself in the foot.

> Maybe all the features that request input from the user should bail out
> if they are invoked while in daemon mode and there is no console nor
> frame where to interact?  I'm thinking of y-or-n-p, ask-user-about*,
> read-from-minibuffer, read-password, etc

This assumes that there's a default correct answer to any of these
questions, which is doubtful.