Re: Emacs making questions while starting in daemon mode

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Emacs making questions while starting in daemon mode
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 01:53:42 +0900

Chad Brown writes:

 > There are probably roughly as many annoying corner cases in the
 > `bull ahead' strategy as there are in the `wait for input'
 > strategy.  Rather than trying to weigh and balance exceptional
 > cases, why don't we look into having emacs open a window to ask
 > those questions (or at least ask about bull-ahead-or-hang) if it's
 > run --daemon?

Because in many cases you won't find.  At least one of the systems I
run Emacsen on is headless.

I think Dan is right -- this is basically a user error.  And I think
that Óscar is also right ... anything that tries to access a
non-existent console should signal an error.  As Óscar says, this will
terminate the load of .emacs, and this is justified because it is a
user error -- it's not Emacs's responsibility.

There will be no return value; unless .emacs does condition-case
itself, the signal should result in a throw to top level.  The error
message(s) can be collected in a special buffer for that purpose, or
in " *Message-Log*", which will be popped up along with *scratch* when
the first console and window are opened by the user.