Re: Emacs making questions while starting in daemon mode

From: Chad Brown
Subject: Re: Emacs making questions while starting in daemon mode
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 12:11:39 -0700

On Jul 6, 2010, at 9:53 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Chad Brown writes:
>
>> There are probably roughly as many annoying corner cases in the
>> `bull ahead' strategy as there are in the `wait for input'
>> strategy.  Rather than trying to weigh and balance exceptional
>> cases, why don't we look into having emacs open a window to ask
>> those questions (or at least ask about bull-ahead-or-hang) if it's
>> run --daemon?
>
> Because in many cases you won't find.  At least one of the systems I
> run Emacsen on is headless.

I think that I might have been unclear -- what I'm suggesting is just that we
could try using the window system to ask questions (or post errors) in
situations where using a tty is expected to fail.  Chong Yidong's observation
that we might hit the questions/errors before we're set up to use the window
system is a telling blow, though -- there are probably cases where using the
window system would still help, but it's clearly just a marginal improvement,
since the opposite cases are probably at least as common.

Ah, well.  I suppose the answer of `fix KRunner to stop shooting itself in the
foot' is still a viable answer.

*Chad