Re: I'm is really I'm

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: I'm is really I'm
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 20:38:03 -0500 (CDT)

+ Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>:

> I was just copying some text from a pdf file to store in org-mode in
> Emacs. Some of the characters are not readable with my font. For
> example when pasting something that looked like
>
>   I'm
>
> I got in Emacs
>
>   I‟m
>
> where the middle char is

DOUBLE HIGH-REVERSED-9 QUOTATION MARK
which is really sort of wrong.

I suspect that the PDF file has used a non-unicode font for that
character. And once the PDF file creator resorts to such then ...

> Do we have any tool for replacing such characters in Emacs? Or is
> there a better way?

... all bets for an automatic recovery are off, except for some AI
technique. Otherwise, I am very much afraid that good old search and
replace is the best you can do. Of course, if you have a lot of these
files and they all suffer the same symptoms, you might want to build a
translation table of sorts. Is your question really about how you can
build and apply such tables to text?

- Harald