Re: What is emacs architecture ?

From: Fren Zeee
Subject: Re: What is emacs architecture ?
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 11:15:23 -0700

There is a link here where you can read all chapters

http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9780596155780

but free preview misses pages 267-8 which have the diagram.

I wonder how good it is as no code snippets or descriptions of the code are there. The elisp manual last section on internals  _sorely_  misses this kind of detail of the basic operation.
Cheers,
Franz
On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 11:07 PM, Masatake YAMATO <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello greets everyone.
>
> I am a newbie interested in knowing some basic architecture of emacs. I hope
> some of you gurus would make it easy for a newbie like me to understand it.
>
> I would assume that you would have a big mental picture of the program and
> then a more detailed picture. It is not possible to manage such a huge
> program without a crisp concept.
>
> If emacs is a meta-recursive lisp interpreter then that serves as pseudo
> code for it.
>
> Does someone have a UML, FSM or any other pictorial representation, or
> textual representation of the big picture of emacs ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Franz Xe

(I've not read yet but)``Beautiful Architecture, 1st Edition'', published from O'Reilly may help you.
Ih chapter 11 Jim Blandy wrote about the architecture. of Emacs.
http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9780596155780/emacs?reader=pf&readerfullscreen=&readerleftmenu=1

Masatake YAMATO