Re: X11 Compound Text vs ISO 2022

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: X11 Compound Text vs ISO 2022
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 15:51:06 -0400

SJT> I would argue that you have two choices here: consider the whole
SJT> string to be Unicode, and used an extended segment for the whole
SJT> thing; or consider the string to be pieced together from segments in
SJT> approved standard encodings, in which case a character that can be
SJT> represented in those encodings should be.

JC> AFAICT, gtk and qt doe the former, and that is really what I was
JC> suggesting, except when there is reason for Emacs to beleive that the
JC> user may perfer the CJK set.

I misstated that.  Ctext should still use the 8859 sets where possible,
and the GB_2312-80, JIS_X0208-1983, JIS_X0208-1990, KS_C_5601-1987 and
CNS11643-1992 sets (but not JIS_X0213) for characters covered by Emacs'
'han script name symbol (as used by, eg, (set-fontset-font)) and utf8
for everything else.

Other apps which understand utf8 will (one hopes) prefer UTF8_STRING;
those which actually need ctext would then get maximum benefit.

As I wrote, ctext-with-extensions is almost there; elimitating 0213
from it should just about do it.

-JimC

P.S.  Stephen: mail to your @xemacs address alwasy bounces,
      and has for some time.