Re: Efforts to attract more users?

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: Efforts to attract more users?
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 19:28:25 -0400

Ken Hori <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm not sure if Emacs is attracting new users the way it used to be.
> Certainly search volume has been going downhill for more than several years
> (http://www.google.com/trends?q=emacs), and yet I don't hear this issue being
> addressed here strongly enough.  I hate to ask pedestrian sort of a question
> like this, but are there any efforts specifically to attract more users?

Emacs is very decentralized, things get done because a person starts
something, and then other people might join.

If you have ideas what to do, by all means, just go ahead!

There are no direct efforts to attract users, more like efforts to
keep up with the latest technologies (Gtk+, dbus, etc), improve
usability, etc.

It would be nice if we could attract more developers, more developers,
means more interesting things done to attract users.
There are many people developing various elisp packages, but they are
mostly designed as add-ons, not with integration into emacs in mind.
It would help a lot if we could convince more people to develop that way.

org-mode is a great example of development, the rate that it's adding
features, and how it integrates with just about anything is
astonishing.  We could use more of that...