Re: Efforts to attract more users?

From: Bernardo Barros
Subject: Re: Efforts to attract more users?
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 21:22:56 -0300

I think if a person stay some time with emacs he/she will find it
fantastic. But I know people that just give up because they don't see
all the things Emacs can do, they just see a text editor that is
different from any standard, including the documentation terminology
and shortcuts. It mentions keys that just don't exist anymore, have
its own terminology for simple things like "copy" and "paste", and a
lot of it'sa shortcuts where design to keyboards that are not
manufactured anymore.

But they could leave before they realise they can customize every bit
of the program, and that this terminology has its charm after all.

I don't know... maybe just taking a look at the keyboards, see how
they really are today, and the largely used terminology shoud help a
lot.