Re: Efforts to attract more users?

From: Rolando Pereira
Subject: Re: Efforts to attract more users?
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 21:25:02 +0100

Stephen Eilert <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 12:24 AM, Bernardo Barros
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> 2010/7/9 Richard Stallman <address@hidden>:
>>> I saw it once, and it used tabs a lot for switching between
>>> different views.  We need to be able to do that too.
>>
>> Hi, Richard. Aquamacs-Emacs implemented tabs too. Just like Firefox
>> and Eclipse.
>>

> Not exactly.
>
> I think that Richard is actually refering to "perspectives". A
> "perspective" in Eclipse is actually a collection of windows (using
> Emacs terminology). For instance, one can have a Java perspective,
> with a big editing window in the middle, a class tree on the left,
> class symbols on the right and a console on the bottom of the screen.
> And then a "Debug perspective", with the stack trace on top left,
> variables top right, editing in the center, and whatever else the user
> wants to display.
>
> You can do that in Aquamacs, if you take the time to configure it,
> splitting and switching to the desired buffers, for each tab. Just to
> lose it when Emacs close (mitigated by desktop-save) or when something
> switches one of the buffers you have painstakingly configured.

Couldn't Emacs simulate that using something like escreen[1] or
elscreen[2]?

Or maybe with the window-configuration-to-register and jump-to-register
functions.

I'm not sure how those options could be presented the user. Perhaps in a
dropdown menu labeled "Perspectives".

Although the use of registers would require, I think (since I'm not
familiar with the code base), all buffers used on the perspectives to be
created at startup, which would probably increase a lot the startup
time, especially if there is a great number of perspectives.

[1] http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsScreen
[2] http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsLispScreen