Re: Emacs learning curve

From: Tom
Subject: Re: Emacs learning curve
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 15:07:31 +0000 (UTC)

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I have several times pointed out that it is the sum of the differences
> that makes it difficult for new users. The stories about users wanting
> to try but giving up partly because they realize they do not have time
> to go through all the differences are frequent.

Exactly. Emacs should be similar to popular tools in those respects
where the difference is arbitrary and does not add anything of value.

Yank is a good example of this. Paste is just as good terminology and
it is widely accepted, so it should be used instead and this term
should appear in the Info menu, not Yank.

One less thing to explain to new users and surely more examples similar
to this can be found.