make on Windows vs. Linux

From: Christoph
Subject: make on Windows vs. Linux
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 09:47:02 -0600

Under Linux I like the fact, that I can check out, for example, the trunk, make a change, run make and then run Emacs from the src/ directory directly without installing it via make install.

Under Windows, this is not possible. After running make the binaries are not in the bin/ directory. I have to run make install to get everything in the right place. But an in-place make install also adds a Start menu shortcut. For test builds or branches this is just polluting my start menu.

Is there any good reason why the Windows make could not result in Emacs runnable 'in-place' out-of-the-box? And make install could add the shortcut and (if applicable) move the appropriate files to the directory specified as the install path during configure?

Or am I missing something?

Christoph