Re: Emacs learning curve

From: Deniz Dogan
Subject: Re: Emacs learning curve
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 18:39:40 +0200

2010/7/10 Alfred M. Szmidt <address@hidden>:
> I doubt that words like yank, kill, point, etc hinder new users from
> using emacs.  The argument seems extremly weak.

When I converted from Vim I was surprised when I learned that in
Emacs yanking means pasting. In Vim it means copying. Neither of
the uses made much sense to me.

What I'm trying to say is that yanking could mean anything. It is
not intuitive to anyone that yanking means inserting text that
was previously removed (sorry, murdered). The same applies for
killing and especially "point". Nice job on the last one.

The only reason I can think of to keep the current names of the
operations is that the underlying functions are named this way as
well and it would be impossible to simply change those now.

--
Deniz Dogan