Re: Emacs learning curve

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Emacs learning curve
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 13:05:15 +0200

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 5:39 AM, MON KEY <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 10:16 PM, Lennart Borgman
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> Which established terminology the _new_ stuff or the _old_ stuff that
>>> the new stuff stands upon? See DLW email below.
>>
>> Just do a reality check.
>>

> OK, so I went and checked. Reality is doing just fine... she asked me
> to tell you that she misses you and wanted you to see this:
>
> ,----
> |
> | In 1990 at my job we had an asshole consultant
> | (a typical MS worshipper) who came in to deliver a program.
> | My colleague Anu and I were debating a UI feature, and the
> | consultant said,
> |  "Did you read your CUA?"
> |
> | We found it on a shelf and handed it to him.
> | It still had the shrink-wrap on it.
> |
> | Anu said,
> |  "Well, we read it.
> |   But then we put the shrink-wrap back on it."
> |
> `---- (URL `http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?CommonUserAccess')

A bit fun, but this kind of humor does only attract those that does
not want to think about the real issue. It tends to lock people into
corners by saying "look how good we are".

The humor that works and releases our thinking capacity is that kind
of humor that is free from contempt. That is very effective. (And much
harder for us to find.)

It is also needed to help us stay well, both physically and mentally.

This is on my reading list if someone is more interested in the subject:

  Grumet GW. Laughter: nature's epileptoid catharsis. Psychol Rep.
1989 Dec;65(3 Pt 2):1059-78.
  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2695954