pcvs branch and merge functions

From: Arik Mitschang
Subject: pcvs branch and merge functions
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 13:45:13 -0400

Hi emacs-dev,

I propose adding the branch and merge functionality that I have added
to pcvs, which can be viewed with 'bzr branch
lp:~akwm/emacs/pcvs-branch-and-merge'. It simplifies creating a branch
for CVS through tagging and allows to add a base/branch postfix such
as branch-name{-BASE} and branch-name{-BRANCH} to the base point and
branch. After creating the branch the cvs dir is then moved onto it
(seems desired). The merge function will then take a branch-name and
(if needed) add the appropriate postfix to do the joining. At present,
this functionality can be achieved but through many tag prefix args
which (I find) are easy to loose track of. More could be added to this
for convenience but these lay a groundwork for branching and merging
in CVS development in emacs.

Any thoughts? I am a new member so I think I need some sort of sponsor
to add this to mainline development. Thanks for the time,
~Arik