Re: Clipboard interactions

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Clipboard interactions
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 18:00:21 +0900

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:
>> But other than that, why not just tell them to set
>> x-select-enable-clipboard ?
>
> This is the answer that they usually get,
> but new users ask the same question again.

Why not turn it on by default then?

I have the vague impression that traditionally the reason is that it
slows down cut/past operations somewhat, especially in a networked-X
environment, but I dunno if that's really much of an issue with modern
machines / networks.  [I've had x-select-enable-clipboard set to true
for ages, and never noticed any adverse consequences.]

I think having dedicated bindings for interprocess cut/paste is not such
a great idea though -- that seems to confuse the issue further by making
"cut/paste" behavior in emacs even more complex (whereas changing
x-select-enable-clipboard maintains consistent behavior across all
related Emacs commands), and probably discourages people from learning
to use the native Emacs bindings (and even if they like the CUA bindings
for basic cut/past, there are many many useful operations for which
there are no CUA bindings).

-Miles

--
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a
single petitioner confessedly unworthy.