Re: Efforts to attract more users?

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Efforts to attract more users?
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 11:42:07 +0200

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 5:05 AM, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
>> The Eclipse IDE has some nice features.  Maybe CEDET gives us some of
>> them, but maybe we still lack some.
>>
>> I saw it once, and it used tabs a lot for switching between different views.
>> We need to be able to do that too.
>>
>> Also, one advantage of Eclipse's GUI interface is that it shows you a
>> lot of features when they might be useful.  So you don't have as much
>> to learn and remember.
>
> I guess it would be much more easy to do that if Emacs could use for
> example wxWidgets.

I used wxWidgets a lot a couple of years ago when contributing to a midi
sequencer. My opinion is that there would be no gain in converting any
GTK project to wxWidgets. GTK is already cross-platform. wxWidgets uses
GTK as its native peer set. Thus, wxWidgets is a subset of GTK,
widget-wise anyway. Starting a new project from scratch is a slightly
different story.

--
Joakim Verona