RE: Emacs learning curve

From: grischka
Subject: RE: Emacs learning curve
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 04:13:25 +0200

From: Drew Adams
But with the point of view of splitting (the verb), the answer unambiguosly
agrees with Emacs terminology - you do in fact split the window horizontally.
Take an axe, hold it horizontally, and split the window.  Go ahead.  You get two
windows disposed vertically, one above the other.  It is simply incorrect to say
that "`split-horizontally' splits vertically".  Bad one, I'm afraid.

Sure, the answer that you give is unambiguous, but unlike you say it does not
agree with Emacs terminology.

(Disclaimer: I was not involved in the Emacs choices for scroll "up" or split
"horizontally".)

Maybe not ;)