Re: Emacs learning curve

From: immanuel litzroth
Subject: Re: Emacs learning curve
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 11:09:28 +0200

> One problem with learning Emacs is that you have to learn it new for
> each language, and every person writing language support has to create
> it new from almost scratch.

Almost from scratch? There is support for highlighting, code
indentation, running
inferior interpreters, running debuggers... -- There is a unified mode
for debuggers
that does perldb, pythondb, ocamldb, gdb....
I wouldn't say that is almost from scratch.
Code completion is just irealistic without compiler/interpreter support.

Moreover the competition isn't doing much better... In my job we have
at two recent
emacs converts -- from vi and/or eclipse -- and two more coming once
they decide they've
had enough of doing ocaml in vi -- we do c++ on linux and ocaml and python.
Immanuel