Re: Emacs learning curve

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs learning curve
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 14:07:42 +0200

"Eric M. Ludlam" <address@hidden> writes:

> One of the things I was most surprised by was that when CEDET was
> integrated into Emacs, only 2 people tried it and reported anything
> from this list.  I fixed those things too.  Now this list is posting
> things that effectively pretend CEDET doesn't exist.  What's up with
> that?

For the effects discussed in this thread, it does not exist.  It does
much less (if at all) to make two existing separate modes more similar
than, say, cc-mode does.

It may be that this situation will be different in 10 years from now,
but I don't see the way to there.  Cedet makes it somewhat easier, as
far as I can discern, to help a programmer with creating his own
completely idiosyncratic mode with complex functionality.

It helps to manage complexity for the mode programmer, not unify
behavior for the user.

If I am wrong, so much the better, but unless everybody else _knows_ I
am wrong, the consequences will be about the same.

--
David Kastrup