Re: Emacs learning curve

From: Tom
Subject: Re: Emacs learning curve
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 08:18:39 +0000 (UTC)

Drew Adams <drew.adams <at> oracle.com> writes:

> We've seen no real demonstration in this thread that there is a dwindling
> interest in Emacs by users (which was the claim that started the thread), but
> would be willing to guess that there is insufficient new blood in the Emacs
> development community.

That's why Emacs should be made more attractive to newbies and
old timers shouldn't resist UI changes. More new blood means more
testers/developers (some of them would definitely want to help out),
so it would be healthy for Emacs in general.

BTW, regarding the question if there is a dwindling interest in Emacs
I found a discussion with various opinions on the subject:

Young people using Emacs?
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/518669/young-people-using-emacs