Re: Emacs, QT and Cairo

From: Chad Brown
Subject: Re: Emacs, QT and Cairo
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 11:37:09 -0700

On Jul 14, 2010, at 12:29 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> A `truly excellent' effort in this space would almost certainly require a
>> huge amount of work from at least one of the already generous/overburdened
>> developers who truly understands the redisplay internals, and I would be
>> surprised to hear that any such feels that they have the free time to devote
>> to such a blue-sky project.
>
> You are looking at the problem from the wrong angle. [...]

> The starting point is, of course, a thorough study of the current
> display engine.

I'm actually not looking at it as a problem to be solved at all, but rather as
a blue-sky project to investigate what might be possible with new display
toolkits.  By way of example, in past discussions about using systems like (but
not exactly) khtml, gecko, or gnome's canvas with emacs, it was suggested that
emacs had certain requirements that such systems could not meet.  My guess is
that while this is still true to some degree, there might be new systems that
could get along with emacs' needs, and that might offer features not currently
available to emacs.

Since my above wording might have been unclear, let me try again:  I expect
that this request will demand too much time and effort to be viable for the
people that already have the expertise required.  I was hoping for some partial
effort, such as a document, discussion thread, or short ``as I remember it''
essay that might provide a good starting place.  I was expecting (since this is
potentially a lot of effort for a blue-sky project) something more akin to your
``start by thoroughly studying the current display engine''.

Thanks for your time,
*Chad