Re: Emacs learning curve

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs learning curve
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 20:36:17 +0200

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

>> > The question of whether to consider scrolling from the
>> > point of view of the view port / window or the point of
>> > view of the paper / data surface / buffer (which
>> > is moving?) is as old as the hills.  And the answer
>> > sometimes depends on the particular application in a
>> > logical way (think cockpit); otherwise it is arbitrary.
>>
>> I thought sensible systems always did it from the point of
>> view of the human user, ergo human-centered systems.
>
> Of course, but what is the point of view of the human user?

In Greece, I made quite a tangle in the rope when the climbing
instructor very strongly stated I should leave the tree to the left.
Usually I would have passed it to the right (and it looked quite obvious
like the thing to do), but after his insistence, to his chagrin, I
passed it on the left.

I did not really focus on his exact wording, and the Greek view seems to
be different...

--
David Kastrup