Re: Selection changes

From: Jeff Clough
Subject: Re: Selection changes
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 15:02:59 -0400

On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 14:53 -0400, Chong Yidong wrote:
> Jeff Clough <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 14:08 -0400, Chong Yidong wrote:
> >> I've changed the way Emacs interacts with the X clipboard and selection,
> >> to bring it in line with how other X applications behave.  For most
> >> users, the main visible change is that `kill' and `yank' now interact
> >> with the clipboard.  One advantage of this change is that the
> >> Cut/Copy/Paste menu bar items are just the usual C-w/M-w/C-y commands.
> >
> > Crap.  What's the variable I frob again to turn this off so Emacs stays
> > away from my clipboard?
>
> x-select-enable-clipboard

Thanks.

> > I kill/yank text in Emacs all day and make heavy use of jumping around
> > the kill-ring.  The clipboard selection is much more ephemeral and
> > without such history.  I just tend to use kill/yank in a different way
> > than copy/paste.
>
> Nothing stops you from continuing to do this, if you don't care about
> the fact that Emacs is overwriting the clipboard selection (most users
> won't care since, as you say, its contents are ephemeral).

Um, but I *do* care.  I don't want Emacs and the clipboard selection to
interact at all.  I certainly don't want a kill in Emacs (which happens
about a thousand times a day) to clobber what's on my clipboard (which I
can never get back).

Thanks again for the reminder on the variable name.

Jeff