Re: Selection changes

From: Yann Hodique
Subject: Re: Selection changes
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 21:25:00 +0200

> I've changed the way Emacs interacts with the X clipboard and selection,
> to bring it in line with how other X applications behave.  For most
> users, the main visible change is that `kill' and `yank' now interact
> with the clipboard.  One advantage of this change is that the
> Cut/Copy/Paste menu bar items are just the usual C-w/M-w/C-y commands.

> I believe that this change should be pretty much seamless, but let me
> know if there is any problems.

Hi,

I'm a bit confused by those changes. I used to have

(setq mouse-drag-copy-region nil)
(mouse-sel-mode 1)

and was pretty happy with the behavior. Now it seems I cannot retrieve
the same behavior as `mouse-sel-mode' is apparently broken
("mouse-sel-selection-overlay: No overlay corresponding to PRIMARY
selection" whenever I try to select something). Which forces me to (setq
mouse-drag-copy-region t) to be able to select with the mouse, but this
in turn pollutes my kill-ring...

What I'd like to have is:
- mouse selection/middle click working as in any application
  (interacting with X primary selection), but *without* interacting with
  neither kill-ring, nor clipboard
- kill-ring being totally independent of clipboard
- (optionally) dedicated functions to yank/kill from/to
  clipboard/primary/secondary

I don't mind changing my configuration to accommodate the new defaults,
but can't find the relevant information. Any useful pointers to
magic variables?

Thanks a lot,

Yann.

--
It is your fate, forgetfulness.  All of the old lessons of life, you lose and
gain and lose and gain again.

  -- Leto II, the Voice of Dar-es-Balat