Re: Emacs learning curve

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs learning curve
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 12:05:54 +0300

> From: Tom <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 08:51:59 +0000 (UTC)
>
> Miles Bader <miles <at> gnu.org> writes:
>

> > Tom <levelhalom <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > > That's why CUA-style editing should be made the consistent default, so
> > > Emacs
> > > works like all other modern application on KDE/Gnome/Windows, etc. and the
> > > current behavior should be provided as a compatibility mode for those who
> > > are accustomed to the old behavior.
> >
> > Isn't going to happen.
> >

> Obviously not. And that's why Emacs won't be able attractive to
> most new users, because more popular IDEs offer features which
> people nowadays consider basic (excellent refactoring support,
> etc.) and implementing these features requires significant
> development and testing resources which Emacs doesn't have.

How on earth are those two related??  CUA Mode already exists and need
just be enabled; the IDE features need at best a lot of work, if not
implementation from ground up.  Enabling CUA by default modifies the
most basic keybindings; adding IDE features changes nothing until the
user actually activates the IDE.  Etc., etc.

> I guess it will be the job of a new generation of Emacs
> developers

Where are they?  All I see is the same old arguments about "to CUA or
not to CUA", and laments about missing refactoring support.  Will
someone please put their money where their mouth is, and DO something?