Re: Emacs learning curve

From: Tom
Subject: Re: Emacs learning curve
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 10:14:17 +0000 (UTC)

Eli Zaretskii <eliz <at> gnu.org> writes:

> Well, Notepad has all the familiar UI you are talking about, but
> somehow it doesn't attract "more hackers".  I guess your logic lacks
> something important.

Have you seen the image of the learning curve of editors?

http://bc.tech.coop/blog/060302.html

Notepad has a limited feature set which obviously doesn't inspire its
users.

On the other hand Emacs has much more depth than that. The goal is to make
emacs easier to use for the newcomer, so he stays for a while and has a
chance to discover emacs is a beautiful swan in the disguise of an ugly
duckling. :)