RE: Emacs learning curve

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Emacs learning curve
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 06:49:36 -0700

> > Dragging is a kind of scrolling.
>
> If you say so!

Dragging is simply one way to make the view and paper move relative to each
other. Have you used applications where dragging can optionally be limited to
only purely vertical or only purely horizontal, in addition to being free-rein?
(E.g. holding a modifier key such as shift while dragging.)

There are many ways to initiate/effect scrolling, as I'm sure you would agree.
Even the history of scroll bars alone is rich with variation in approach and
behavior.

No doubt you and I both would find much of it unnatural now, though it appeared
natural enough to those using it or experimenting with it at the time.  There
are even arguments here about Emacs scroll bar behavior from time to time.

Perhap you naturally drive on the left.  I naturally drive on the right.  I am
not making the argument that only driving on the right is "natural".  Would you
be making such an argument for driving on the left perchance?

> According to you, the human user identifies with the
> document being edited

No, I did not say that.  I said that humans are capable of identifying with
_either_ the window or the document when they move relative to each other.  I
did not say that humans identify only with the document.  They _can_ do so, and
in some applications/contexts, they do do so.