RE: http access to source code

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: http access to source code
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 08:03:29 -0700

> Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2010 3:51 PM
> > Here the same, on the first attempt.
> >
> > > This is the output for me
> > >
> > >  Please try again
> > >
> > >  Sorry, there was a problem connecting to the Launchpad server.
> > >
> > >  Try reloading this page in a minute or two. If the problem
> > >  persists, let us know in the #launchpad IRC channel on Freenode.
> > >
> > >  Thanks for your patience.
>
> Well at least I'm glad to see someone else sees the same
> thing I do.  I see this almost all the time.  I don't use IRC.
> Perhaps someone else will report it.  But I would be surprised
> if they weren't aware of it.  It's been like this forever.

This sorry sorry-thank-you page has been thanking us for our patience for a
_very_ long time now.  Is there at least a plan to do something about this?
HTTP access to the source code is nearly non-existent (/dev/null-like), and it
has been this way since the changeover to BZR.

So much for a project that inscribes on its banner that source-code access is
the be-all and end-all.  (No flames, please - just chalk it up to user
grumbling.  I know full well that the source code _is_ available through other
means than HTTP.)

Seriously, this state of affairs is lamentable (ridiculous?) in 2010.  It's like
going back 20 years in time.  Normally functioning HTTP access is the least that
could be provided nowadays.  It really shouldn't be that big of a deal.

And that friendly thanks-for-your-patience page doesn't even have an email or
web address you can report problems to (though there is really only _one_
problem to report: it just doesn't work).  The only thing mentioned is an IRC
channel.  Sheesh - how lame is that?

Anyway, thanks for listening.  I'll keep dialing, trying to get through, though
I feel my chances are better with the lottery or SETI.