Question about the initials completion-style

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Question about the initials completion-style
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 18:00:48 +0200

Hi all,

I really like the idea of the `initials' completion style, but that
doesn't work for me.  When I do `M-x ss<TAB>' I want to call
`server-start' (or any other command with exactly 2 words separated by
some non-word-char).  I had an own mode for executing commands by giving
only initials, but I'd like to drop that for the new `completion-styles'
in recent emacsen.

Using (setq completion-styles '(basic initials partial-completion)), `M-x
ss<TAB>' will complete to "s-s", but the completion list also contains
entries with more subwords, like secrets-show-secrets.  Those are added
by the partial-completion style.

If I use (setq completion-styles '(basic initials)), `M-x ss<TAB>' will
complete to "s-s", but then no matches are found anymore, cause this
expansion requires partial-completion.

So it would be good, if there was a variant of partial-completion that
didn't consider symbols with more hyphens than are actually there.  Or
is there a way to do that right now (using a recent bzr checkout)?

Bye,
Tassilo