Re: Emacs, QT and Cairo Was: Re: Efforts to attract more users?

From: Andrew W. Nosenko
Subject: Re: Emacs, QT and Cairo Was: Re: Efforts to attract more users?
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 13:24:14 +0300

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 10:41, Jan Djärv <address@hidden> wrote:

> Andrew W. Nosenko skrev 2010-07-16 01.15:
>>
>> Yet another example: scrollbars.  I remember discussions where better
>> to place them by default.  But I don't remember anyone who pointed
>> that position of scrollbars controlled by and desktop environment and
>> gtkrc (GTK+ semi-analog of xrdb).  Where scrollbar should be?  --
>> there where the rest of of desktop places it and controlled from the
>> place where the rest of desktop controlled.  Of course it may and
>> should be able to be customized on per-application basis and Emacs
>> here far ahead of the rest.  But...  But why speaking about scrollbar
>> on the right vs. scrollbar on the left [by default] no one mentioned
>> third possibility: the desktop default setting?
>
> AFAIK, there is no desktop setting for scroll bar placements in GNOME, or by
> theme.

Exists since GTK+ 2.10

http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/unstable/GtkSettings.html#GtkSettings--gtk-scrolled-window-placement

For set it by hand, for example, for place vertical scrollbar to the
left by default you may add following line to your ~/.gtkrc-2.0

    gtk-scrolled-window-placement = top-right

--
Andrew W. Nosenko <address@hidden>