Re: Emacs User Friendliness Question/Hope

From: Deniz Dogan
Subject: Re: Emacs User Friendliness Question/Hope
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 16:38:22 +0200

2010/7/16 Jeff Clough <address@hidden>:
> On Fri, 2010-07-16 at 15:07 +0100, Uday S Reddy wrote:
>> On 7/16/2010 11:48 AM, Jeff Clough wrote:
>>
>> > With Emacs 23.x, this takes only a few lines in my .emacs file.  As the
>> > amount of "user friendliness" goes up, the lines in my .emacs will
>> > likely also go up (the change to how kill/yank interacts with the
>> > clipboard is an example).
>>
>> How does it matter if the .emacs grows?
>
> It might not matter to you, but it matters to me and likely to some
> other people as well.  I'd rather my .emacs contain only things that
> extend the software (new bindings, loading my own lisp, etc.) or set
> variables necessary for the packages I use (like pointing slime to
> sbcl).  The less code needed to do things like turning something off or
> tweaking an "internal" setting, the better.
>
>> Don't you think it is worth the trouble if it helps Emacs continue to stay
>> popular and thriving with new generations of users?
>
> I think some people think it's worth the trouble of changing Emacs to
> work in a more expected way for new users.  Some people may also think
> it's worth adding a few lines to their .emacs files to accommodate this.
> I also think some people would like the number of lines to be kept to a
> minimum.
>
> There's a way to let Emacs "continue to stay popular and thriving with
> new generations of users" that does not also make it more difficult to
> work with (or configure) for existing users that are quite happy with
> the way it is now.
>
> I don't think it's unreasonable for a new "usability" feature to check a
> global setting before doing it's magic.  Or to otherwise be disabled
> unless either enabled specifically or enabled via a global "make Emacs
> work like Notepad" command.  Make it on by default, but give me a way to
> turn it off with one line, as opposed to having one to three lines for
> every one of these enhancements.

But that's easier said than done, isn't it? Where should we draw the
line between what's "new" and Notepad-ish and what's "old" and
Emacs-y? To be honest, it sounds like you're looking to add a function
to Emacs which makes it act exactly as the way you want it to. Every
Emacs user has their own taste, which is why the init files exist in
the first place. Let's not start adding what is essentially custom
user configurations to Emacs.

--
Deniz Dogan