Re: Emacs learning curve

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Emacs learning curve
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 19:27:31 +0200

On Friday 16 July 2010 19:12:18 Óscar Fuentes wrote:

> If there is something in Emacs that is not sensible nor logical,
> that's the keybindings. Not only they are different from the current
> established ones, they often seem planned with the clear intention of
> causing RSI :-)

This heavily depends on your keyboard layout.  IMO, the worst decision a
developer of an editor can make is to base the keybindings on one
specific layout.  For example, vi's hjkl-movement bindings are totally
awkward on my German Dvorak Type II keyboard.  In contrast, emacs C-n,
C-f, C-b and C-p have mnemonics which are clear and independent from the
layout.

Similarly, C-k, C-y and M-y have clear mnemonics derived from the
concepts of killing and yanking.

Bye,
Tassilo