Re: Emacs learning curve

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Emacs learning curve
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 07:26:47 +0900

Ivan Kanis <address@hidden> writes:
> I side with Tom, I wouldn't mind adding one line to my .emacs in favor
> of easing new users experience.

It isn't that simple.  You can't just move some bindings around without
affecting other bindings, and there are _lots of bindings_ in Emacs,
which are not all defined in one place, or even in one code-base.

If Emacs were a simple minimal-functionality editor like notepad with
all its bindings defined in a single list, maybe you could easily offer
alternative binding sets -- but it isn't.

You can see the problem in the existing cua-mode:  even though it only
tries to offer a very few CUA bindings, it has to resort to awful dodgy
hacks to do so, to avoid (or at least try to avoid) stepping on other
bindings.

-Miles

--
Omochiroi!