Re: Emacs and Gnome Canvas

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Emacs and Gnome Canvas
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 12:26:06 +0200

YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu skrev 2010-07-17 11.25:
On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 11:18:56 +0200, Jan Djärv<address@hidden>  said:

The whole area, or divide the updated area to some collection of
rectangles?  The former is too inefficient for small updates.

No it is not, this is how Gtk+ operates all the time, even for
small updates.

Isn't GTK+ using the model I've been saying, i.e., drawing only in
respose to exposure, especially when using cairo?

Gtk+ (or rather Gdk) makes a syntetic expose event.  But if you have
a small change, it will do it just for that small change, the same
it does for big changes.

Sorry, I don't understand.  Does GTK+ or GDK do double-buffering for
drawings outside the handler of (possibly synthetic) expose events?

No, not outside expose events. But if I insert a character in a text edit widget, it invalidates itself. That generates a syntetic expose event. When the event is processed, Gdk arranges for all drawings to go to the backing store. When the event is fully processed, the backing store is copied to the window.

Copying the whole window or just a portion should hardly matter w.r.t. performance. This is all done in the X server.

        Jan D.