Re: iso-transl pach (bug#6527: C-h b alters key-translation-map (in a ba

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: iso-transl pach (bug#6527: C-h b alters key-translation-map (in a bad way))
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 13:00:41 +0200

> I chose to automatically define the C-x 8 prefix key combinations when
> the package is loaded, so that the C-x 8 autoloading mechanism remains
> in place for the comfort of the occasional user.

I agree we need to decouple the 3 parts:
- the C-x 8 should stay, and could be extended to cover many more cases
  (e.g. C-x 8 r ' could insert ŕ, etc...)
- the Alt- bindings (could be under the control of a minor mode, like
  your patch does).
- the deadkey handling, which IIUC should be handled automatically by
  other parts of the code.

So, I think your patch goes in the right direction, except that the
deadkey handling should be either removed (because it doesn't do
anything any way) or always enabled.

        Stefan