Re: eshell and after-change-functions

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: eshell and after-change-functions
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 17:49:41 +0200

> The feature in question is sharing interactive buffers like comint,
> slime and, well, eshell with other users. The problem is that Rudel
> relies on `after-change-functions' to monitor buffer changes and
> propagate them to peers, but eshell let-binds this variable to nil in
> `eshell-send-input' and `eshell-output-filter'. This prevents buffer
> changes performed in these functions from being propagated and
> de-synchronizes the session. I cannot find a specific reason for
> disabling all after-change functions in the ehsell code and was
> wondering if somebody knows why this is necessary. If it is not
> necessary, could this maybe be changed?

Have you tried to remove the offending let-binding and see what effect
it has on Eshell's behavior?
The commit logs don't give any help about the reason for these bindings,
and looking at the code I can't figure it out myself either, so unless
John remembers why they were added, we'll be forced to just "try and
pray".

        Stefan