Re: Emacs learning curve

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Emacs learning curve
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 14:15:51 +0200

2010/7/17 Tassilo Horn <address@hidden>:
> On Friday 16 July 2010 22:10:20 Teemu Likonen wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
>> Powerful text editor should depend on ergonomics and muscle memory and
>> make rebinding keys easy (for different keyboard layouts like Dvorak).
>
> I think this muscle memory statement is much overstated.

It would be interesting if anyone has some psychological research to
support this.

I do not believe that is is overstated (but I do not have time to look
it now). Rather I think that for simple and often used commands (like
CUA) it is very important.

I also suspect that natural language skills might be involved. That
would perhaps mean that for some people (maybe mostly those lucky
enough growing up with two languages or more) changing between Emacs
key bindings and other key bindings might be easy, but for others
difficult.

But to be sure unbiased observations must be made, of course.