Re: Emacs learning curve

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Emacs learning curve
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 13:52:38 -0400

   > Can we please stop with the extravagant claim that new users are
   > not attracted to emacs because of some idiosyncratic bindings?

   That claim is extravagant indeed. The users are not attracted by
   the idiosyncratic keybindings, they are *repelled* by them.

Again, simply not true, please stop.  _Your_ experience might dictate
things that are different frommine, but claiming that users are
"repelled' is simply not true since new users use emacs.

   > One should strive for what is sensible and logical, not what is
   > currently modern and popular.  The reason people are attached to
   > "the old way" is because it makes sense, and it has proven itself
   > over 30 years.

   If there is something in Emacs that is not sensible nor logical, that's
   the keybindings. Not only they are different from the current
   established ones, they often seem planned with the clear intention
   of causing RSI :-)

They make sense in the context of emacs; they are menomics for
functions.  That is sensible and logical, none of your claims are
strong since you disregard those facts.