Re: Emacs learning curve

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Emacs learning curve
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 14:38:27 -0400

   "Alfred M. Szmidt" <address@hidden> writes:

   >    > Can we please stop with the extravagant claim that new users are
   >    > not attracted to emacs because of some idiosyncratic bindings?
   >
   >    That claim is extravagant indeed. The users are not attracted by
   >    the idiosyncratic keybindings, they are *repelled* by them.
   >
   > Again, simply not true, please stop.  _Your_ experience might dictate
   > things that are different frommine, but claiming that users are
   > "repelled' is simply not true since new users use emacs.

   So as far as some new users come from time to time, there is no need to
   question Emacs' design. Curious logic. We'll better leave the discussion
   here.

If the argument is that users are "repelled" from emacs because of the
current bindings, and it is shown that this is simply not true, then
yes, one should kill the discussion on that specific point.

People are making absurd claims, and refuse to listen and it is
getting tiresome.