Re: What's the spec for emacs lisp virtual machine ?

From: Fren Zeee
Subject: Re: What's the spec for emacs lisp virtual machine ?
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 09:18:48 -0700

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 12:28 AM, Alfred M. Szmidt <address@hidden> wrote:
>   I have done searches on wiki and other places but the things are not
>   entirely clear because they are not oriented to my goal of centering
>   around emacs.
>
> Have you tried looking at the source code for emacs?  It isn't that
> complex and the code is well commented, it is also the best place for
> any details regarding emacs.  The VM is located in emacs/src/eval.c,
> the byte-code compiler in emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el.  You can
> use the disassemble function to disassemble emacs byte-code.

I have looked at some header and C files on the savannah site, not this one.

I am waiting for a reply from the group and RMS on the earliest
sources which were probably smaller also, like 13 to 16.56 which might
be simpler for this newbie.

Perhaps, you may put a snippet to actually show a few things to this newbie.

I think often its best to demonstrate then to direct particularly for
those who say its easy for them.

What type of scanner does the Lisp parser and interpreter use ? Is it
listed ? Is there a FSM state transition table drawn ?

Franz Xe